Skip to main content

See Venice, but pay an entry fee first

ROME: Visitors to Venice will have to pay a new tax to help cover the costs of keeping the tourist-thronged historic city clean and safe, city officials have announced.

The measure, passed late on Saturday as part of the budget bill, allows the city authorities from July to being charging tourists a landing fee of between 2.5 and 10 euros ($2.9-11.5) depending on the season.

The charge covers all visitors, whether they are staying overnight or not.

That means it will apply to day-trippers such as the thousands of cruise ship passengers who currently escape the existing tax charged by hotels and the owners of rented properties for those staying overnight.

Some 600 cruise ships stop at Venice every year, helping drive complaints that the city is being swamped by the millions of tourists who visit each year.

Airlines and coach companies may also pass on the new tax in their charges.

City officials estimate that the tax could bring in 50 million euros ($55 million) a year.

“The cost of cleaning the historic centre and its security are particular and for years have been covered by Venetians,” the centre-right mayor of Venice, Luigi Brugnaro, told daily La Repubblica.

“Thank you to all those who from now on will help us keep Venice clean and allow Venetians to live more comfortably.”

On Twitter, Brugnaro added that the authorities were looking at measures to ensure visitors working or studying in the city were not affected.

A similar landing tax is already in place on the Aeolian isles off Sicily, and Lampedusa, Italy’s southernmost island.

The post See Venice, but pay an entry fee first appeared first on ARYNEWS.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Police arrest another suspect in Rimsha Wassan murder case

KHAIRPUR: Police on Tuesday arrested another suspect in Rimsha Wassan murder case during a raid in Khairpur, ARY News reported. Police said suspect Hidayatullah was arrested during the raid and weapons were recovered from his possession. They said the arrested suspect was a close aide of Zulfiqar Wassan, Sabir Wassan and Abdul Ghaffar. “The suspect will be produced before the Anti-Terrorism Court for remand,” said police. On March 19, an anti-terrorism court (ATC) had extended the remand of three suspects in Rimsha murder case for three more days for further investigations. Hearing the Rimsha murder case, the court, on the request of police, had decided to extend the physical remand of the suspects for three more days. Read More:  ATC extends suspects’ remand in Rimsha murder case According to the details, police had produced the prime suspect, Zulfiqar Wassan alias Zulfoo , his associates nominated in the case, Ghaffar Wassan and Sabir Wassan before the court amid strict se...

Sajal Aly, Ahad Raza Mir are already sending out wedding invites

Pakistan’s hot favourite celebrity couple Sajal Aly and Ahad Raza Mir are all set to tie the knot soon.  The pair has already started sending out wedding invitations to friends and family as fans eagerly wait for one of the biggest celebrity weddings of the year. The actors invited British Deputy High Commissioner, Mike Nithavrianakis, to their big day, who took to Twitter to share that it was wonderful meeting them. Thank you! Hope to see you at the wedding @MikeNith1 https://t.co/YtOOYBJuhq — Sajal Ali (@Iamsajalali) February 28, 2020 “They’ve been ‘married’ on-screen several times. Now for the real deal. Best wishes to them both,” he wrote. The Mom actress thanked him and said “Hope to see you at the wedding.” Earlier, a photo of a cake which had ‘Ahad aur Sajal ki dholki’ written over it went viral. The lovebirds got engaged in July last year after dating for a while. The post Sajal Aly, Ahad Raza Mir are already sending out wedding invites appeared first on...

India’s coronavirus cases rise by a daily record of 55,078

BENGALURU: India reported another record surge in daily COVID-19 cases on Friday, taking the total to 1.64 million, as the government further eases virus curbs in a bid to resuscitate the economy, while also trying to increase testing. Infections jumped by 55,078 in the past 24 hours, while the death toll rose by 779 to 35,747, the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare said on its website. The ministry also said it aimed to raise the country’s capacity to 1 million coronavirus tests per day in the medium term, from a record 600,000 on Friday. The federal government this week announced the reopening of yoga institutes and gymnasiums, and removed restrictions on the movement of people and goods. The post India’s coronavirus cases rise by a daily record of 55,078 appeared first on ARY NEWS .