Skip to main content

South Africa milestone becomes a millstone for Steyn

MUMBAI: Dale Steyn admits overtaking Shaun Pollock to become South Africa’s highest wicket-taker has become something of a millstone around his neck but he is determined to prove he still has lot more to offer than merely claiming a 422nd test victim.

The 35-year-old paceman has been closing on Pollock’s tally of 421 wickets for a couple of years but, limited by injury to three tests since November 2016, has managed only to reach, not pass, the milestone.

Having proved his fitness on the recent tour of Sri Lanka, however, Steyn wants to get the record in the bag as quickly possible and move on with the rest of his career.

“Actually, it’s like a bit of a burden now,” he told Reuters in an interview.

“I hope it just gets out of the way and we can just carry on. Because there’s more wickets in me than 421. I have got 500 plus on the horizon so I don’t know why we are so consumed on one number.

“When I am bowling it’s like ‘you’re gonna get there, you’re gonna get there’. I know I am, but I’m not interested in getting there,” he added.

“What I am interested in doing is performing well for my country, taking wickets and winning cricket games. If I can do that, those records, that fame and all the other things you want with professional sport will come.”

Steyn’s 421 wickets have come in 88 tests at an average of 22.64 and he is regarded as one of the sport’s greatest fast bowlers for his ability to take wickets in all conditions.

His injury problems began in December 2015, and about a year later he broke his right shoulder and tore three major muscles during the first test against Australia in Perth.

In January this year, he made a comeback after 13 months on the sidelines only to injure his heel when he opened the bowling in the first test victory over India at Newlands.

TOUGH GIG

After another six months out, he returned for the two-test series in Sri Lanka needing three wickets to overtake Pollock. He picked two in the opening test but went wicketless in the second.

Although Sri Lanka proved to be a tough gig for South Africa’s fast bowlers in the 2-0 test series loss, Steyn was happy with how his body stood up to the challenge.

“I actually quite enjoyed Sri Lanka,” Steyn said at a GoPro promotional event.

“The interesting thing is that lot of people have been saying he’s injured, he’s struggling and everything like that.

“But I probably just got through the hardest test of my career and I’m absolutely fine. That’s a plus in my book. I am pretty pleased with that.

“I walked away from both of those test matches not leaving the field once or having any problems. So the cloud of injury is, in my opinion, now gone.”

And as eager as he is to get the issue of the record out of the way during the home series against Pakistan at the end of the year, he will approach his cricket as he has always done.

“When I started playing cricket I was always told ‘don’t play for money, don’t play for fame, don’t play for records. If you are good enough it will come,’” he said.

“I thought that’s perfect, I’ll take that. I have played for 14 years. That went quickly. And in that 14 years came all of those things. If I have to sit there and focus on one thing like records, it will consume me.”

Read also: Ball-tampering a ‘cry for help’ in unbalanced sport – Steyn

The post South Africa milestone becomes a millstone for Steyn appeared first on ARYNEWS.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountability court hears assets case against Ishaq Dar

ISLAMABAD: An accountability court in Islamabad on Wednesday resumed the hearing of a reference filed against former finance minister Ishaq Dar by the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) for allegedly accumulating assets beyond his known sources of income.  Judge Muhammad Bashir is recording the statement of a prosecution witness, Ishtiaq Ahmed. At the previous hearing, the accountability judge had reserved his verdict on an application filed by two co-accused seeking acquittal in the case. Naeem Mehmood and Mansoor Rizvi, who are directors of Dar’s companies, had filed the application requesting the judge to exonerate them from all charges for want of evidence. Qazi Misbah, the counsel for the two co-accused, contended the prosecution has failed to provide compelling evidence to prove the allegations leveled against his clients. The third co-accused President National Bank of Pakistan (NBP), Saeed Ahmed, had already filed an application before the court for his acquittal wh...

SFA raids several restaurants in Karachi, imposes fine

KARACHI: The Sindh Food Authority (SFA) on Friday raided several restaurants in city’s North Nazimabad area over unhygienic conditions, ARY News reported. According to the SFA, one of the restaurants was found utilizing the used oil multiple times. The items were also not properly frozen while crockery for serving the food was also not clean. The team imposed a fine of Rs 50,000 on the restaurant. The SFA team found hygiene standards were sheerly compromised in food making to the core. The food inspectors said they had previously served notices to the food outlets, but the restaurant owners apparently turned a blind eye to it. Raids were also conducted in district Malir and Gulshan-e-Hadeed. Sanitary conditions and lack of fumigation facilities were found at the restaurants in some of the Malir outlets. The SFA team also raided a bakery ‘Friend Bakers’ and imposed a fine of Rs 20,000 over poor hygiene.  Similarly another roadside restaurant was fined Rs 20,000 for neglecting he...

Trump says US generals feel Beirut blast was likely an ‘attack’

WASHINGTON: President Donald Trump on Tuesday cast a massive explosion in Beirut as a possible attack, despite statements by Lebanese leaders that it was likely caused by highly explosive material that had been stored at warehouses in the capital for years. “The United States stands ready to assist Lebanon,” Trump said at a White House briefing of Tuesday’s explosion, which killed at least 78 people and injured thousands. “It looks like a terrible attack.” When asked later about his depiction of the explosion, Trump said that he had met with some U.S. generals who feel the blast was not “some kind of a manufacturing explosion type of event.” He told reporters that according to these unnamed generals “they seem to think it was an attack. It was a bomb of some kind.” The Pentagon referred questions to the White House. Two U.S. officials, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said it was unclear where Trump was receiving his information but that initial information did not appear...