Skip to main content

Sarfraz Ahmed opens up about on-pitch ‘anger’

Pakistan skipper Sarfraz Ahmed, after whitewashing the three-match T20I series 3-0 against Sri Lanka, revealed that he feels embarrassed after watching himself being angry on players during matches.

Sarfraz, in a candid conversation with commentator Ramiz Raja, said he only gets angry at his teammates because he loves them.

When asked if managing young players becomes easy when they are of nearly the same age, Sarfraz replied: “I am enjoying a lot with all of these players. As I told you before, they listen. I know I get angry a lot. Sometimes when I watch TV and they show a slow-motion replay of me, I ask myself ‘what was I doing there’.”

Sarfraz, Yasir make interesting confessions

Ramiz then praised him for not abusing in anger, and Sarfraz said with a laugh: “Yes, that is the case. I know when the camera cuts to a close-up shot, all of you can understand what I am saying, so I avoid abusing.”

First message, as captain, to players?

During Sarfraz’s stay at the helm, Pakistan have defeated the West Indies, bagged the Champions Trophy and whitewashed Sri Lanka in both the five-match ODI and three-match T20I series. His only losses have come against Sri Lanka in the Tests.

The 30-year-old discussed what he changed when he became captain. “When I was given the captaincy, I told the players to give their 100% on the field and never worry about the results. Before that, we were too obsessed with the results. I told them if we play with clear and clean intentions, we will get results.”

He pointed to his dropped catch against Sri Lanka in the group matches of the Champions Trophy as a reason for believing in miracles.

“If you see the Sri Lanka match, even a kid would’ve caught that catch. It was Ramazan, I was reciting Durud Shareef, everyone was praying for us, so we won. If you see Shadab’s six in the second T20I, that is enough proof,” he explained.

After eight years of hiatus, Sri Lankan cricket team returns to Pakistan

Wicketkeeper-batsman said youngsters, with their performances, are making a difference for Pakistan cricket.

“I have great youngsters in the team,” said Sarfraz. “Junior players such as Shadab, Fakhar Zaman, Rumman Raees, Umar Amin played today, Faheem Ashraf is there, are really good. They listen and rectify their mistakes.”

Never enforce my leadership: Sarfraz

Sarfraz said he never used his authority as captain for wrong purposes.

“I never enforce my authority as the leader or the captain saying ‘I will do whatever I want’,” said Sarfraz. “I never did that and I don’t plan to do it in the future as well. I just want my team to play as a unit.”

‘Welcome back Sri Lanka’

Pakistan captain praised team management and selection committee for working with him. “The good thing is that our selectors support us,” he said. “The team management always backs me up. I have a good understanding with [head coach] Mickey Arthur.”

He continued by saying they want to provide every new entrant a proper chance so they can prove themselves. “We try that whoever plays for us, we give them a proper chance. And by the grace of Allah, whenever we have given a youngster a chance, he has delivered results. We play them in matches. When the selection committee sends them to us, we give them confidence.”

‘Team has potential to perform overseas’

Pakistan have a busy schedule in 2018 where they will be playing a lot of series outside the UAE and Sarfraz thinks the confidence they have gathered this year will help them.

“The team is good. The boys are talented; they learn and they adapt. When we went to England [for the Champions Trophy], we played in West Indies before that. In West Indies we played on slow pitches, the ball was breaking there more. But the boys adjusted to the English conditions, adjusted with the bounce, focused more on cut and pull; so, I think the team has enough potential to perform overseas. Also they have gained a lot of confidence this year which will help them.”

The post Sarfraz Ahmed opens up about on-pitch ‘anger’ appeared first on The Express Tribune.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountability court hears assets case against Ishaq Dar

ISLAMABAD: An accountability court in Islamabad on Wednesday resumed the hearing of a reference filed against former finance minister Ishaq Dar by the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) for allegedly accumulating assets beyond his known sources of income.  Judge Muhammad Bashir is recording the statement of a prosecution witness, Ishtiaq Ahmed. At the previous hearing, the accountability judge had reserved his verdict on an application filed by two co-accused seeking acquittal in the case. Naeem Mehmood and Mansoor Rizvi, who are directors of Dar’s companies, had filed the application requesting the judge to exonerate them from all charges for want of evidence. Qazi Misbah, the counsel for the two co-accused, contended the prosecution has failed to provide compelling evidence to prove the allegations leveled against his clients. The third co-accused President National Bank of Pakistan (NBP), Saeed Ahmed, had already filed an application before the court for his acquittal wh...

SFA raids several restaurants in Karachi, imposes fine

KARACHI: The Sindh Food Authority (SFA) on Friday raided several restaurants in city’s North Nazimabad area over unhygienic conditions, ARY News reported. According to the SFA, one of the restaurants was found utilizing the used oil multiple times. The items were also not properly frozen while crockery for serving the food was also not clean. The team imposed a fine of Rs 50,000 on the restaurant. The SFA team found hygiene standards were sheerly compromised in food making to the core. The food inspectors said they had previously served notices to the food outlets, but the restaurant owners apparently turned a blind eye to it. Raids were also conducted in district Malir and Gulshan-e-Hadeed. Sanitary conditions and lack of fumigation facilities were found at the restaurants in some of the Malir outlets. The SFA team also raided a bakery ‘Friend Bakers’ and imposed a fine of Rs 20,000 over poor hygiene.  Similarly another roadside restaurant was fined Rs 20,000 for neglecting he...

Trump says US generals feel Beirut blast was likely an ‘attack’

WASHINGTON: President Donald Trump on Tuesday cast a massive explosion in Beirut as a possible attack, despite statements by Lebanese leaders that it was likely caused by highly explosive material that had been stored at warehouses in the capital for years. “The United States stands ready to assist Lebanon,” Trump said at a White House briefing of Tuesday’s explosion, which killed at least 78 people and injured thousands. “It looks like a terrible attack.” When asked later about his depiction of the explosion, Trump said that he had met with some U.S. generals who feel the blast was not “some kind of a manufacturing explosion type of event.” He told reporters that according to these unnamed generals “they seem to think it was an attack. It was a bomb of some kind.” The Pentagon referred questions to the White House. Two U.S. officials, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said it was unclear where Trump was receiving his information but that initial information did not appear...